How to Reach Gangtok.
Nearest Airport to Gangtok is Pakyong Airport is a greenfield RCS airport at Pakyong town near Gangtok, the state capital of Sikkim, India. The airport is located at Pakyong town about 31km from Gangtok. At 4646 ft, Pakyong Airport is one of the five highest airports in India. Flight operations started 4 October 2018. Accredited across the globe for its engineering and described it as one of the most scenic airports in the world. However, commercial flight operations have been hampered by low visibility due to poor weather conditions. It is not operational at this time. The airport nearest (operational all time of the year) to Gangtok is Bagdogra Airport(IXB) is about 135 kilometres away in West Bengal. From the airport, it takes about 4 to 5 hours to reach Gangtok. The drive from Bagdogra to Gangtok is absolutely stunning which first goes through the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary then River Teesta is all along the road with the majestic beauty of the mountains and valleys on either side of the Road.
The nearest railway station to Gangtok is about 125 kilometres away in New Jalpaiguri (NJP) in Siliguri. The station is well-connected to all major cities of India. From New Jalpaiguri Station you can get cars on hire, which will take you about 4-5 hours.
Tourists coming in from nearby places like Siliguri, Darjeeling, Kalimpong and even Kolkata drive to Gangtok. The roads are well-maintained, with scenic views of the rivers, valleys and mountains. All along the road are eateries and basic washroom facilities where you might take a break to enjoy the view of the river Teesta.
Pelling Tea Point - West District
Attractions & Places
Call Toll Free No 1800 123 9923
54, Ho Chi Minh Sarani
(B R Road(West),
Send Your Query
Our Pick of Best Full day 10-Point Gangtok Sightseeing Tour Rs. 3000/- for a small reserved taxi (Season), Rs. 2500/- (Off season)
1. Ranka or Lingdum Monastery. 2. Ban Jhakri Waterfall.3. Rumtek Monastery. 4. Nehru Botanical Garden. 5. Shanti View Point. 6. Enchey Monastery. 7. Ganesh Tok. 8. Ropeway Ride: 1km cable car ride with grand view of Town. 9. Institute of Tibetology. 10. Tashi View Point: Excellent sunrise and Kanchenjunga viewing area.
Kewzing A Hamlet With View
Day trips In Gangtok Tour Package- Tsongo(Changu) Lake, Baba Mandir & Nathula Pass
Most popular and probably the best day tour from Gangtok is a trip to Tsomgo (Changu) Lake - Glacial lake 35kms from Gantok and at an altitude of about 12,310 ft. This trip also covers the Baba Mandir. You can additionally cover Nathula Pass which is further up and about 52kms from Gangtok and see the Indo Chinese border and the Chumbi valley through which the old Silk Route (i.e. the trade route between India and Tibet) passes.
Tsomgo lake and Baba Mandir combination takes about 5-6 hours round trip (including the time it takes to see the places). With Nathula it becomes a full day trip.
***Note that only large vehicle like Scorpio, Jeep etc are available for these places due to the road condition and steep gradient. All these places (Tsomgo, Baba Mandir and Nathula) are restricted areas and only Indians are allowed to visit with necessary permits. You will need to carry valid Photo Id card (PAN cards not accepted) and two passport size photos each to get the permits. Non Indians are allowed till Tsongo Lake but with tourist guide.
Cost of Tour-
Tsomgo and Baba Mandir: Rs. 4000/- in reserved Sumo/Max.
Tsomgo, Baba Mandir and Nathula: Rs. 5,500 in reserved Sumo/Max.
Tsomgo, Baba Mandir and Nathula: Rs. 7,000 in reserved Innova/Scorpio.
Shared Jeep are available and costs from Rs 500 to 800 depending upon Season.
Basey Rhodhodendron Sanctuary
Sikkim Darjeeling Tours
Kolkata Sundarban Tour
Gangtok Tour Package
Gangtok Tour Package- Things You Should Know
Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim and is the center of the tourism because of the tourist attractions within the city as well as the places like North Sikkim, Natula Pass and other onward places of tourist interest. Tourism infrastructure of Gangtok is highly developed with Hotels and Resorts catering to all segments and casinos, night clubs, pubs, vegetarian & non Veg restaurants, etc. Gangtok has lot of sightseeing places within the city limits and nearby.
Gangtok Local Sightseeing Tour
3-point Tour (Half Day) Reserved Car Charges Small Rs. 1,200/- (Season), Rs. 1000/- (Off Season)
1. Tashi View point - A great view point for watching the Kanchenjunga Snow Peaks on a clear day. Also an excellent place for sunrise view.
2. Hanuman Tok - A Hanuman temple with a wonderful viewing area.
3. Ganesh Tok - A Ganesh Temple with viewing lounge and open balcony.
7-point Tour (Half Day) Rs. 1800/- (Season), Rs. 1500/- (Off Season)
You will visit all in 3-point tour (as mentioned above) and additionally the following:
4. Bakthang Waterfall - Excellent wide water streams falling on a canopy of trees. The fall is located close to Tashi View point by the roadside and also offers great views all around.
5. Enchey Monastery - Located on a hilltop, it's one of the oldest monasteries around.
6. Flower Exhibition Center - Located near Gangtok town and at one end of The Ridge park, the center has great collection of flowering plants including Orchids (in season though).
7. Handicraft Center - This is the building of Directorate of Handicraft & Handloom including a Sales emporium and a Museum showcasing many different handicraft items and artwork created by the local artists and craftsmen.
10-Point Tour (Full Day) Reserved small taxi rate for 10-point tour: Rs. 2000/- (Season), Rs. 1800/- (Off Season)
Apart from the 7-point attractions above, you will additionally visit the following:
8. Chorten Stupa - A famous Buddhist religious monument with a golden dome top which is visible from many places around Gangtok.
9. Institute of Tibetology - Research institute on Tibetan language and culture, also has a great museum and library with rare and huge collections.
10. Ropeway (Cable Car) - Great ride to view the whole of Gangtok, the valley and the peaks from far above.
Best time to visit Gangtok
Gangtok is a very popular destination and can be visited at any time of the year, other than the rainy season in the months of July, August & September.
Winters (October to February) are the best season to visit Gangtok if you like to enjoy snowfalls. It’s very pleasant in Gangtok city and your can take the tours to higher altitude with 20-30 kms of the town to see snow. The surroundings look picture-perfect with snow-capped mountain peaks. It becomes quite cold during December and January so you should carry adequate warm clothes.
Gangtok in Spring & Summer(March to April & May to June)
This is time when Gangtok sees the highesthere tourist influx . The weather is salubrious and the skies are clear. Spring is the time when Gangtok gets peppered with colourful Rhododendron & Orchid flowers of different varieties making it look like a paradise. Enjoy the clear views of mighty Kunchenjunga range and plunge into exciting adventure activities like trekking in the different sanctuaries in Sikkim.
During summers, Gangtok weather is relatively warm in comparison to other seasons. During this time West and North parts of Sikkim are more pleasant. In May, Gangtok serves as the venue for the wonderful International Flower Festival celebrating a wide variety of exotic flora native to this region.
Gangtok in Monsoon (July to September) is best avoided due to landslides and most onward destinations may not be access able.